Monday, December 16, 2013

Hooked Rugs

Supplies: 

  • Monk's cloth, rug warp or rug linen or similarly loosely woven fabric to serve as a backing; 
  • rug hook; 
  • felted wool strips or other fabric that does not readily fray;
  • frame to hold the fabric (like a large embroidery hoop or quilter's frame)
  • scissors, rotary cutter, straight edge
There are numerous outlets that sell precut wool strips. There are also cutters designed for cutting consistent width strips.
It is all more expense that I care to invest in. 
I made a simple frame of scraps with adhesive velcro to secure my fabric and cut strips of wool and silk using the rotary scissors. I got started by watching Gene Shephard's video:  How to Hook Rugs

My first carpet is all wool, mostly felted wool that was purchased as well as a re-purposed shawl from Nepal and remnants of a Scottish kilt.
rug hooking
Hooked rug, wool

No comments:

Post a Comment