Monday, December 16, 2013

Rug Twining - Intro


My favorite rug twining book is Twist & Twine by Bobbie Irwin. 
I thought this book was great not only for beginners but for more advanced rug makers as well. I use a rotary blade to cut strips if ripping isn't an option (like textured fabric, some wools, delicate silks). 
I used an old picture frame for my first loom. For my second longer rug, I nailed a row of finishing nails into two pieces of scrap wood and tied each piece to a heavy piece of furniture, stretching the warp the length! Finally, my husband built me a standing loom.
adjustable warp loom, standing rug loom
Standing rug loom.

rug twining
Nails in scrap wood!

adjustable warp rug loom
Large loom with cloth strips as warp.
 The vertical warp can be strips of cloth or heavy string or cord. The cloth strips work well if you are using wide strips of cotton or wool for a sturdy carpet. I found that heavy kite string was sufficient for all-silk carpets where the weaving strip is narrower. 
I collect used kimonos, yukatas, curtains, bedspreads, lap blankets and cloth remnants from friends, family and the rubbish bins. I launder them, cut or tear into strips and come up with a design.

Discarded kimono

Cut or torn strips (I do this outdoors to avoid the fine dust!)

Piles of cloth strips ready to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment