Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Twined Ottoman

Using PET bottles for a base, I used strips from a summer yukata and kimono to twine a cover for the ottoman. The warps are some scrappy polyester suit lining that I picked up at the flea market.
I started with a large cranberry juice bottle in the center and several water bottles around it. I secured them in place with duct tape.

The bottom of the PETs are the seat  (top) of ottoman.



To fill out the shape, I used bubble wrap and then covered it with cloth (I happened to have pieces of a terry sheet). A circle was cut for the top and bottom and then pieces wrapped around and roughly whip stitched into place. This is my base for weaving.

Now I will add my warps to the top and begin twining.

 I used a stitch to hold the warp spokes in place and just started twining as usual. I went counter-clockwise for no reason except it was convenient for me.



As I moved away from the center, I needed to add more spokes to the warp, so I took a double long piece, looped it through the previous row and created two new warps. I did this somewhat evenly around the wheel as needed, to keep my twining stitches fairly even.



As I got to the sides, I needed to slip in a couple extra warps
as well.


I didn't want to waste good kimono cloth on the bottom and so I just trimmed the warps and wove the bits in and out in a plain weave just to secure them all and keep it fairly flat. 


Detail of twined ottoman sides.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am making two twined pieces right now(round, and a long rectangular strip), to turn into an ottoman. I will be sewing them together, rather than working them over a form, but I love your idea of using PET bottles for the inner structure. I had been planning on stuffing it with newspaper and cardboard, a la a leather ottoman form that my father had, back in the 70s. Your method would be a good 2014 update. And heaven knows, there are plenty of PET bottles around. I've been enjoying your posts this afternoon, and look forward to seeing more from you in the future.
    ~Sabine

    ReplyDelete